The NSF is incredibly important to the health of the field of operations research. In addition to the “regular” grant activities (CAREER grants and basic research grants), the program director has the opportunity to make the case for having OR as part of interdisciplinary and exploratory research directions. I hope someone good finds this an interesting opportunity. Robert Sloan has an interesting article on the joys of being a program director in computer science.
From the OR Blogs
- Same sex marriage still widely regarded as repugnant in Egypt, and a little less so in China
- Optimization in Retail: Bringing Innovation to Users that are Not Early Adopters
- Praying Together, Battery Life and Basketball (Statshot)
- The Birth of Drools Pojo Rules
- Would Consumers Lose Money if U.S. Dropped the Penny?
- Scotland Had 85% Turnout; Has U.S. Ever Come Close to That?