The NSF is incredibly important to the health of the field of operations research. In addition to the “regular” grant activities (CAREER grants and basic research grants), the program director has the opportunity to make the case for having OR as part of interdisciplinary and exploratory research directions. I hope someone good finds this an interesting opportunity. Robert Sloan has an interesting article on the joys of being a program director in computer science.
From the OR Blogs
- Talk: Balasubramanian Sivan / Optimal Crowdsourcing Contests / Wed 1/28
- Optimization Is Ready For Big Data: Part 4, Veracity
- Proportionate flow shop: New complexity results and models with due date assignment
- The App Economy: at SIEPR
- Don’t get the wrong impression. The social cause he’s fighting for is homeless WAFFLES.
- Analytics Capability Landscape: Style-based