The NSF is incredibly important to the health of the field of operations research. In addition to the “regular” grant activities (CAREER grants and basic research grants), the program director has the opportunity to make the case for having OR as part of interdisciplinary and exploratory research directions. I hope someone good finds this an interesting opportunity. Robert Sloan has an interesting article on the joys of being a program director in computer science.
From the OR Blogs
- The auction of Lederman’s Nobel medal goes into extended bidding
- Big Jackpots, Mega Long Odds and Office Pools
- Judd Kessler interviewed about organ donor registration on NPR
- Interesting read: Why Stochastic Can Be a Dirty Word
- OM in the News: The Changing Employee Incentive Systems
- flood risks and management science